Business relationships matter. It’s the relationship that keeps your clients coming back and not going across the street to your competitor. The key to starting (and maintaining) a successful relationship is being likable.
Whether you’re already likeable or a real SOB, if you want to be successful in business you’re going to need to be liked. For some of us, that means playing dirty.
Here are some sneaky ways to trick people into liking you:
- Jump on a crisis. People never forget when you help them out in their time of need. Even small tasks like helping a busy co-worker make copies or filling in when they’re on vacation will make you stand out (and appreciated). Better yet, help a coworker or client who was recently laid off – I guarantee it will solidify a relationship for life.
- Bypass technology. Email is the enemy of effective communication. With everyone being so damn reliant upon email, most of us have become afraid to meet in person. A face to face lunch, an impromptu meeting at the office, or even just picking up the phone will go further than years of email communication.
- Open up personally. The more you share your passions, hobbies, and family stories the less likely you are to get fired and more likely you are to get the sale. People are suckers for a good “My kid started walking for the first time this weekend” story. Your life is interesting, I promise. Excellent read: “Rework”, by David Heinemeier Hansson.
- Show your sense of humor. Don’t be afraid to tell a cheesy joke or play a prank. Loosening up a client or coworker can help cut through inefficient formalities and accomplish what you want quicker. Humor is obviously a sign of tremendous intelligence.
- Grow a mustache. Just kidding…or am I?