We all get a little crazy on the job every now and then. From moms at home to on-call response teams, there are ways to limit the craziness and typical work day stress. Once you trade the temporary high of battle scars and constant adrenaline, you may find that you actually enjoy your job more than you realized.
Feeling overwhelmed at work today? Try some of these 20 Ways to Simplify Your Work Life:
- Know what you’re capable of. If you’re confident in your ability to do your job, even emergency meetings can’t stress you out.
- Don’t repeat any gossip you hear. If you can detach yourself from the gossip chain, you cut the majority of the drama out of your work days. This is also one of the 25 Things to Stop Doing Today at Work.
- Create an enjoyable lunchtime ritual. Listen to music, read a book, picnic on the grass, or just enjoy your leftovers. Let your mind calm down and mark the day’s halfway point.
- Keep contact information easily accessible. Any phone numbers that could be urgent should be kept close at hand in a single location. Day planner, cell phone, Outlook contacts, or index card: do whatever works for you, but keep that information available to avoid turning routine calls into desk-tossing panics.
- Clear your desk of anything that’s not necessary, like stacks of catalogs, outdated correspondence, and yesterday’s tea mug. Keep a personal memento or two on your desk, but make sure the items add meaning to your life, like a family picture or an object that makes you smile or reflect. Read Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity.
- Always have an update for your supervisor. Always. Even if it’s something trivial, be ready to answer the “What’s new around here?” or “What’s going on in your department today?” question. It’s a great way to build trust.
- Shorten your task list. I like to keep two task lists, one for ongoing things that need to be handled at some point and one for what’s on the docket today.