Regardless of the industry you’re in or the tasks you’re facing, there are several universal goals that must be on your daily to-do list.
Interestingly enough, some of these things will increase your productivity but have nothing to do with work. Complete each one of these things on your daily work to do list and you’ll have one hell of a productive day.
- Start with a focused task list. Begin each day by physically writing down what you hope to accomplish. A visual depiction of your tasks will serve to keep you both on track and productive. I find that literally checking things off my list allows me to put completed matters to rest and more easily start focusing on the next one.
- Adhere to Google’s 70/20/10 Model. Eric Schmidt, co-founder of Google, pioneered a 70/20/10 model of managing innovation. This model details that 70% of your time should be dedicated to core business tasks, 20% of your time should be dedicated to projects related to the core business and the remaining 10% of your time should be dedicated to projects unrelated to the core business. Therefore, focus on your key tasks (so you don’t get fired) but also think outside your cubical toward higher aspirations and innovations.
- Expand your network. Every day should consist of you starting a new relationship or deepening an existing relationship. In “Corporate America” your network is your lifeline. It’s your source of business, job leads and growth. Nurture your external relationships like you nurture your internal ones.
- Become an Expert. It’s critical that you make a point to learn something new each day. Not only will experts in their industries make more money, they’re more intellectually stimulated and happier to go to work each day. Here are some tips on How To Be Seen As An Expert In Your Industry.
- Make sure to laugh. Work shouldn’t be a prison sentence. Maintaining your sense of humor will decrease your stress levels and increase the chances that your customers/coworkers enjoy doing business with you.
- Keep things organized. It’s easy for your desk to turn into a landfill of documents, fed-ex’s and clutter. Implement an organizational structure that will minimize distractions and keep you on task. Look around you now. Are you organized for success? A clean desk is a productive desk.
- Stay Nourished. Avoid the 2:30 crash by staying properly nourished. Did you have a salad or a cheeseburger for lunch today? How do you feel now? A healthy lunch with plenty of healthy snacks and water throughout the day will keep your brain from losing focus. Avoid sodas, coffee and sugar!!!
- End your day. I hate taking work home with me (figuratively – I guess literally as well actually). Make it a point to end your workday by examining what you didn’t accomplish today and will therefore need to pickup tomorrow. Once again, I prefer a physical list of matters to do the next day, thus allowing me to mentally leave work at the office.
These are the 8 must haves for my daily to-do list, what do you make a point to adhere to each day? Feel free to share your comments and suggestions below.
Trackback from your site.